Why Defund Planned Parenthood?
Download this fact sheet. As the nation’s largest abortion chain with a long record of unethical activity, Planned Parenthood does not deserve our tax dollars. Here are four key reasons why all current federal funding for Planned Parenthood should be redirected to Federally Qualified Health Centers that do not perform abortions:
1. Planned Parenthood is the nation’s largest abortion chain.
- Planned Parenthood performs over 320,000 abortions a year.
- 34% of all U.S. abortions are done by Planned Parenthood.
- 1 out of 8 women visiting Planned Parenthood each year will get an abortion there.
- Planned Parenthood takes in an estimated $191 million on abortion alone every year, accounting for three fifths of their clinic income.
- Planned Parenthood is cornering the market on abortion: even as the national abortion rate declines, Planned Parenthood’s abortion numbers continue to rise.
2. Planned Parenthood is a bad actor and a lightning rod of controversy.
- Planned Parenthood has been caught shielding child predators, lying about what services they provide, deceiving government officials, defying state and federal laws, submitting fraudulent Medicaid claims, and harvesting and selling fetal tissue.
- Because of their huge abortion business, unethical activity and partisan political involvement, Planned Parenthood is one of the most divisive organizations in the country.
3. Planned Parenthood exaggerates their role in providing healthcare to women.
- Planned Parenthood provides less than 2% of manual breast exams, less than 1% of pap tests, and zero mammograms annually. Download this fact sheet.
- Women cannot go to Planned Parenthood for such basic healthcare needs as treatment for back pain, colds and flus, bodily injury, and mental health issues.
- Despite their name, Planned Parenthood offers almost no prenatal care, which amounts to less than 0.2% of total annual services.
- Planned Parenthood offers no pediatric care, a primary concern of millions of women, and even instructs women not to bring children with them to their centers.
- 4 out of 5 women will never visit a Planned Parenthood facility.
4. Defunding Planned Parenthood would not reduce funding for women’s health.
- Every dollar taken from Planned Parenthood would be redirected to Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs) that don’t provide abortions.
- Nationwide, there are 13 times more FQHCs than Planned Parenthood centers, serving 8 times more clients.
- FQHCs offer families a far wider range of services and a higher standard of care than Planned Parenthood.
Download this fact sheet. Questions and Answers
How much taxpayer funding does Planned Parenthood receive from the federal government?
Planned Parenthood receives $553 million annually from taxpayers, 43% of their annual budget, of which $430 million comes from the federal government. The balance of their taxpayer funding comes from state and local governments.
Isn’t abortion only a very small part of what Planned Parenthood does?
Planned Parenthood claims abortion is only 3% of their services, a figure so misleading that Slate magazine called it “the most meaningless abortion statistic ever.” Out of the 9.5 million individual services Planned Parenthood provided in 2014, 323,999 were abortions—roughly 3%. But this figure fails to account for the fact that a woman visiting Planned Parenthood for an abortion will receive several services—from a pregnancy test to some manner of counseling to the abortion itself—each of which is counted separately. Also, abortion accounts for more than 60% of their total clinic income.
Don’t you know Planned Parenthood doesn’t receive funding directly for abortion?
Even if Planned Parenthood does not receive federal funding directly for abortion, the $430 million they receive from the federal government helps them to keep the lights on, staff their call centers, and market their business. Moreover, offering taxpayer funded services also provides Planned Parenthood with a large population to market their abortion services to. Taxpayer funding is propping up the nation’s largest abortion chain.
Why do you want to take healthcare away from poor women?
Nobody is trying to reduce poor women’s access to healthcare. Every dollar taken from Planned Parenthood would be redirected to Federally Qualified Health Centers that provide a far wider range of services and a higher standard of care than Planned Parenthood.
Doesn’t Planned Parenthood reduce abortion by providing contraception?
Download this fact sheet.
Defunding Planned Parenthood would not reduce federal funding for contraception or any healthcare service. It should also be noted that more than
half of women getting abortions were using contraception during the month they became pregnant.
What can you do to help defund Planned Parenthood?
The nationwide #DefundPP rallies are just the beginning. We need all hands on deck until Planned Parenthood is defunded! Here are some simply things you can do to make that happen:
- Contact your U.S. Representative and Senators! Tell them to support the Congressional effort to defunding Planned Parenthood. Do this even if you know they aren’t pro-life—they still need to hear that the people want Planned Parenthood defunded. (Find contact info here.)
- Share the truth about Planned Parenthood! Talk to friends and neighbors. Spread the word on social media. Write a letter to the editor. (Get talking points here.)
- Support #ProtestPP with a donation! Either text “prolife” to 444999 and then follow the instructions, or donate online.
- Keep up with the #DefundPP effort! Visit ProtestPP.com to stay up to date with action items, rallies, protest and more.
- Planned Parenthood 2014-15 Annual Report
- Top 12 Reasons to Defund Planned Parenthood
- Pro-Life Q & A: Planned Parenthood.
- Planned Parenthood: Profit. No Matter What.
- Find a Federally Qualified Health Center Near You
- Planned Parenthood: The Abortion Corporation [VIDEOS]
- STOP Planned Parenthood International
About the #ProtestPP Coalition
#ProtestPP is a coalition of state and national pro-life groups organized in response to the horrifying revelations in summer 2015 that Planned Parenthood has been involved in the illicit trafficking of aborted babies’ body parts.
The primary sponsors of #ProtestPP are Citizens for a Pro-Life Society, Created Equal and the Pro-Life Action League. These three national activist organizations are joined by over sixty state and national pro-life groups committed to exposing the truth about Planned Parenthood and mobilizing the response of pro-life Americans.
On August 22 and October 10, 2015, tens of thousands of Americans answered #ProtestPP’s call for a national days of protest at Planned Parenthood centers. In all, 654 individual protests were held at 374 Planned Parenthood facilities throughout the United States—including abortion clinics that had not seen pro-life witness in years. The protests received outstanding media coverage, reaching millions of Americans, and in August, #ProtestPP was the number one hashtag trending on Twitter and Facebook.
In April 2016 #ProtestPP launched the first-ever annual nationwide Planned Parenthood protest, with plans to hold such a nationally coordinated event every April. And in October 2016, #ProtestPP prayer vigils were held at over 100 Planned Parenthood locations to mark the organization’s 100th anniversary.
In 2017, #ProtestPP is focusing on the fight to strip Planned Parenthood of their federal funding and shift those taxpayer dollars to federally qualified health centers that offer a far wider range of services and do not perform abortions.
Watch the Center for Medical Progress Videos
On July 14, 2015, the Center for Medical Progress released the first of what would become a series of undercover videos showing Planned Parenthood officials discussing how to profit from the sale of aborted babies’ body parts:
- Planned Parenthood Uses Partial-Birth Abortions to Sell Baby Parts
- Second Planned P’hood Senior Executive Haggles Over Baby Parts Prices, Changes Abortion Methods
- Human Capital – Episode 1: Planned Parenthood’s Black Market in Baby Parts
- Planned Parenthood VP Says Fetuses May Come Out Intact, Agrees Payments Specific to the Specimen
- Intact Fetuses “Just a Matter of Line Items” for Planned Parenthood TX Mega-Center
- Human Capital – Episode 2: Inside the Planned Parenthood Supply Site
- Human Capital – Episode 3: Planned Parenthood’s Custom Abortions for Superior Product
- Planned Parenthood Baby Parts Buyer StemExpress Wants “Another 50 Livers/Week”
- Planned Parenthood Baby Parts Vendor ABR Pays Off Clinics, Intact Fetuses “Just Fell Out”
- Top Planned Parenthood Exec: Baby Parts Sales “A Valid Exchange,” Can Make “A Fair Amount of Income”
- Planned Parenthood of Greater Texas Dr. Amna Dermish
- Planned Parenthood TX Abortion Apprentice Taught Partial-Birth Abortion to “Strive For” Intact Heads
- “PROFIT” – Planned Parenthood’s Illicit Moneymaking From Baby Body Parts
- “HARVEST” – Planned Parenthood’s Custom Abortions for Better Baby Parts
- “COVER-UP” – Planned Parenthood’s Attempt to Hide their Baby Body Parts Scheme
- Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast CEO Melaney Linton
- Planned Parenthood Houston Admits Accounting Gimmicks Hide Baby Parts Sales, Invoices Charge $8,000
- Planned Parenthood Ally NAF Suggests “Group Purchasing Program” for “A Win-Win” Selling Fetal Parts
- Planned Parenthood OC Changes Abortions to Harvest Intact Fetuses for Local Company’s Sales
- Planned Parenthood’s Fraudulent “Consent” Form to get Aborted Baby Parts
40 Days for Life
Alliance Defending Freedom
American Family Association
American Life League
Americans United for Life
Anglicans for Life
Artists for Life
Ave Maria Radio
Black People Against Abortion
Buffalo Regional Right to Life Committee
Californians for Life
Catholics Called to Witness
CEC for Life
Center for Bio-Ethical Reform
Center for Family & Human Rights
Central Oregon Right to Life
Cherish Life Ministries
Christian Defense Coalition
Church on the Hill
Cincinnati Right to Life
Concerned Women for America
Defenders of the Unborn
Democrats for Life
EMC Frontline Pregnancy Centers – NYC
Family Research Council
Georgia Right to Life
Grand Rapids Right to Life
Heart for the Next Generation
Helping Hands Ministry
Hispanics for Life
Human Life Alliance
Human Life International
Human Life Review
Illinois Right to Life
Life Coalition International
Life Issues Institute
Life Legal Defense Foundation
Life Matters Journal
Life Training Institute
Love of Truth Ministries
Lutherans For Life
March for Life
Missouri Blacks for Life
National Black Pro-life Union
National Life Center
National Life Chain
Pass the Salt Ministries
Personhood Education New York
Priests for Life
Pro-Life Action Ministries
Pro-Life Detroit/Pro-Life Michigan
Right to Life of Indianapolis
Silent No More Awareness Campaign
Stand True Pro-Life Outreach
Students for Life of America
Survivors of the Abortion Holocaust
Susan B. Anthony List
The Justice Foundation
The Radiance Foundation
The Restoration Project
This Race Will Self-Destruct
Thomas More Society
Traditional Values Coalition
Virginians For Life
To contact the #ProtestPP national team, use the contact form here, email email@example.com or call 773-777-2900.
Reporters can reach the three #ProtestPP national directors for comment as follows:
Monica Miller, Citizens for a Pro-Life Society: 248-444-9096
Mark Harrington, Created Equal: 614-419-9000
Eric Scheidler, Pro-Life Action League: 773-251-8792